Monday, March 28, 2011

Tsunami

I flunked college geology. I did well on my exams, but on my practicals, I just could not see differences between igneous and metamorphic rocks to save my life.
Even some sedimentary just looked metamorphic to me because they didn't look igneous and I wasn't sure they were sedimentary. In that class, if you could not get a
passing lab grade, you flunked. Period. When I elected it, I thought, 'the lab will be easier than any other lab I've had'. Oh well. So to comfort myself after grades
came out, I just re-read the book cover to cover. Of course, as another disclaimer
for my geologic opinions, that was in the 70s - and I haven't kept up much.
All that being said, however, I did read a lot of the material my eldest daughter
bought in the 90s for a University of Michigan class called 'Oceans'.
At that time I was amazed to learn that whatever mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, streams, eruptions etc. we have on the earth's surface - there are larger, faster moving, more vast, more volatile counterparts on the ocean floor!
Whatever happens on the surface of the earth, happens in spades on the ocean floor.
So I just have to believe that since climate change has somehow caused more frequent
and larger sink-holes on earth's surface, we may have larger and more frequent
sink-holes on our oceans' flooring. Where they would be in proximity to a tsunami, I would have no idea. How they would be related to earthquake, I could not say.
What I can say, however, is that the polar ice caps are melting at an alarming rate
according to Al Gore and most scientists. And I know water is very, very heavy. It
is going somewhere. It is moving quickly if gravity is real. It is causing severe
weather patterns. And obviously that is happening both on land, and at sea. I
think we need a LOT more geography and geology majors in our colleges. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.