Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Brand New President

A few weeks after the 2008 election, President Barak Obama went to Florida for a
talk with grass roots people.My daughter and I watched on TV.
His talk was outside in the open air. He reminded voters he intended to honor
the campaigning committments he made.
Then the president agreed to take questions.
He called on a lady who proceeded: 'We are living in my car. I have a young son,
and we lost our home, and we just need a place to live.'
Our President took the question in stride, saying he would make sure someone on his
staff heard her out and did what it would be possible to do.
But to my youngest daughter and me, it didn't pass muster as a question on national
policy. We looked at each other feeling for the lady and for the new president - then I had to show some of my incredulity. I started to sing 'see my eyes I can hardly see'. My daughter, an opera singer, helped me out immediately - chiming in -
'see my tongue, I can hardly talk'. We went on together, not really knowing if
the words or sequences in the phrasing was exactly right, 'won't you help, won't
you heal me Christ? I believe you you can make me whole.'
We agreed then just between the two of us that the United States of America was
love-starved, neglected, suffering...and would be a very tough room for an honest
man just tryin' to 'render unto Caesar'.
The next person the President called on bolstered our belief. He was a young man
saying his job at McDonald's wasn't paying benefits, or offering raises. My, my,my...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.