Monday, July 20, 2015

Silas Norman: Detroit's Treasured Physician And Opera Voice

Dr. Norman, also a brother of the more world-famous Jesse Norman, has passed away this week-end.
Dr. Norman had the most beautiful bass voice I have ever heard.  I asked him once why he hadn't taken that voice to the met. He indicated that he couldn't have competed with his sister, but I doubt that was why. I don't believe they would have been contracted for the same projects.
Still, Dr. Norman had an illustrious career, and taught for some time at the Wayne State Med School.
He was sincerely revered as well, as one of the most prized members of Detroit's
accomplished Brazeal Dennard Chorale.
I cannot believe I won't hear Dr. Norman sing live ever again. To hear him sing was
absolutely transformative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.