Thursday, March 6, 2014

Our Most Heartbreaking Moments

At least 12 Years A Slave was based on a true story.
I thought the Harriet Jacobs saga would be the next slave story to hit Hollywood. For me, it was the
most brutal- aside from my great-grandma's story. But stories with black characters often give me
a big fat headache.
I left before Training Day was over. Denzel Washington was already dead. How many times
did the director need us to see him get riddled?
Jhango was terrible, not for the language, but because Carrie Washington got savaged.
I loved that Morgan Freeman finally told Miss Daisy he was interested in her mostly as a paycheck.
But truly, I haven't seen many of these movies since "Daisy".
Green Miles, maids, butlers, slaves...even Halle Berry had to get trashed- once in the film, then onstage accepting the Oscar.
I am happy, though. I just love "Boyz 'N The Hood".
Menace To Society was even better... an anthem.
It isn't a perfect or joyous description of us- but hey, it's in the hood. I know most of  the doctors, lawyers, scientists, musicians, actors and actresses etc. come from here too.
Where else can we live?
In Michigan, for instance, we are replete with militias.
No, they are not equal opportunity employers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.