Thursday, August 1, 2013

Founders?

I find it so silly when people whose ancestors are in Europe talk about their 'founding fathers'.
American founding fathers in truth, had the misfortune of being slaves, and some slavers.
I don't mind if people are adopted. I can't see why they seem to ignore the historical facts of the adoptions.
And they are often the ones who wail loudest about the black community.
Columbus got to American shores in 1492.
In 1592, a century after Europeans began to arrive, there was still nothing in North America but
Native Americans and wilderness.
Any other history is scant at best.
Settlements made feeble attempts, then died away nearly every winter.
Some of them haven't left so much as a cup or bowl or bone behind.
Europe didn't send physicians, attorneys, professors, scientists, and statesmen to these shores.
America didn't get an educated, outstanding crowd simply wanting more religion.
Europe emptied its shores of the undesirable.
I don't see one glorious thing about it, especially since they are often still laboring under so many
illusions of grandeur.
All Americans should be required to read Moll Flanders. They could understand, then,who their European ancestors truly were. Of course, the book was written by an Englishman.
I recall having been assigned to read Miles Standish's writings in eighth grade. I was appalled.
The poor man was all but illiterate.
I wanted to ask questions, but the teacher was so proud of him, I just didn't.
Until the British empire instituted slavery in these colonies, no profit was declared in these
settlements.
The first profit was declared from Jamestown, VA. That was in 1620 a year after my ancestors
arrived as captives. The Africans brought forth the crops which built a new nation.
By the time the second century of American settlement was done, America was rich, rich, rich,
and expanding.
Before another century could be done, America had become rich enough to win the war with the
most powerful army and navy then on the planet.
However, for all those who believe they have founders in all that mess- read Thomas Jefferson's
address to the Virginia legislature of 1787. 
I see nothing honorable about the man. I grant he was as intelligent as could be though. Just an
inveterate liar.
Whenever I came home with tales of American history, my parents would laugh at me.
"Do you know what your own ancestors were doing in that year you are talking to us about?"
After a while, I knew American history in my house was the sought out history one dug for in the
recesses of the library, or the history we learned from grandma, who was born in 1898.
There wasn't much in my history book I could mention to my parents and they agree I'd learned the
truth except the arguments on the floor of the house and the senate leading up to the civil war.
Every single argument was slave state vs. free state...every day.
Ron Paul has the bright idea all the states should have become slave states.
He doesn't know the history of agriculture.
And he doesn't seem to understand the rest of the world would have gotten just as sick of us as the
north did of the south, and vice verse, sooner of later.
Now John Roberts, the 'Tea' party, the Libertarians, and the prison complex have a 'grand bargain'
alright for the black and brown people of this country. thing is: we've seen it all before, and we can
see you coming.
The circa 1900 immigrants and their children are some of the most fervent haters of our President
now.
They were certain black people should believe of themselves what they were asked and told to
believe of themselves.
That is not going to happen outside the purview of the richest, most famous, and most educated
black people. We do have many in our race who are concerned with what they have been told to be
concerned about, of course. They are privileged to be able to work on these concerns by the people in the U.S. civil rights movements who had better sense than to worry about those things. Needless to say, however,  most of us are not rich, or famous, or a decade or more out of post doc work.
Even then, there are some Michael Eric Dyson truth tellers among us!
If you tell me I don't read well, do I have to believe you?
If you tell me I need always speak the king's English, do I have to believe you?
If you are a colleague of Professor Barack Hussein Obama, and you write a best seller which includes an entire dumb chapter on why won't loving black parents have sense enough to name their children names white people love to hear, can't I think you backward if I choose?
Barack and Oprah, and many many others might think you backward- and they'd have cause.
So many people in this country were anxiously awaiting the first Italian president.
So many awaiting the first Jewish president.
So many looking for the first Greek president.
A great many hoping for the first Polish president.
On and on...
Well, even though he is American, and even though he is of mixed race, he is a first African president. His dad was way more African than mine. In that, I am so proud of the arc of the moral
universe.
As Benjamin, a Jewish tailor said to the noble Roman Marcellus in chapter nine of Lloyd Douglas's The Robe, 'you don't rob a slave of his divine character when you buy him and hitch him to a plow, between an
ox and an ass. He has had no choice in the matter. It isn't he who has demoted mankind: it is you!
He is still free to believe
that God is his spiritual father. But you aren't!
According to Benjamin, the slave is free to consider himself whatever he likes, but his slavery makes
slavers relatives to beasts, because they are the ones with warped ideas about the conception of a man's value.
I do know Benjamin isn't real. But I just love the speeches Douglas gives him.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.