Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Ronald Nelson,Jr.

I couldn't be prouder of Mr. Nelson for turning down Harvard, Yale. Princeton, Stanford, et al!
Creepy, creepy places.
I am glad for the black students who've braved it out in those places with such yukky heritage in
order to make a good place for themselves in this world.
But we have needed a Mr. Nelson for so long.
Perhaps with the exception of Stanford, I don't know its history very well; I just know slavery empowered and funded so much of our westward homesteading expansion, those places were built
shortly after the colonies began to make a profit, and be assured more profit in years to come from
the work the slaves did in this country.
Why should black students rush to pay those gooky places?
Black students who have attended in the past have made those places better. Have legacy students done so?
It is my fervent wish that  every equally bright black student in America who isn't going to a traditionally black college or university, could attempt admission at University of Alabama, even if they get less than a full ride, to enroll in classes Mr. Nelson has decided to take.
Now that is a new activism I'd love to see.
When I was still 17, I was accepted at Radcliffe. My parents were glad, but they had four other children at home. They were a bit surprised about the money not only for tuition and books, but how
much it would likely cost to live in Cambridge for a week.
They didn't miss me in Massachusetts, though. They got people like Mitt Romney right about the time I'd have attended. And I became only a semi-professional worker. Poor me.
Still- I dodged an important bullet staying out of that school in the sixties
I wish Harvard could have educated enough people in their hallowed environment well enough to keep the Tsarnaev family from getting so disenchanted and going off the deep end.
It's a thing I expect them to do in the future. But of course, they not care a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.