Friday, March 2, 2012

Post-War Contraception

Frankly, I can't understand why more young men aren't showing some activism regarding
contraception. Ms. Fluke shouldn't be out there on her own. Unlike what some more beastly
thinkers may be spouting, she doesn't want to be paid for anything save protection from
pregnancy; and she can't get pregnant alone. Thank heaven we have a decent enough President, that he called her, he praised her, he wished her luck, and he expressed to her that her parents
had every reason in the world to be very proud of her.
But unless young men want to add early fatherhood to their lives and careers, shouldn't they
speak of for women's rights under the law?
When I was growing up, in the fifties and early sixties, if a guy got a girl pregnant, he often had to marry her. He would often start telling people: "I got my girl pregnant." Or he might say: "I think I got somebody pregnant. I might have to get married." Or, some would say: "I think we're pregnant." Of course, many times the young man called the girl by her name,too.
Then came the pill. Ever after that I would only hear guys say: "She got pregnant."
Some of them wanted to get married, yes, but they still worded the reality as if it were something
anyone could possibly do by herself.
We need young men joining NOW, even if in adjunct capacities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.