Saturday, September 6, 2014

R.I.P. Joan Rivers

She was hilarious.
If she had been a man,she would have been hilarious.
She was funny as a young woman, funny as an older woman, funny as a bankrupt lady, funny as a rich lady, funny about her plastic surgery. Joan was, in a word, hilarious.
She really had no business jumping on Palestinians; but she was Jewish- so such a thing possibly came reflexively to her because she was of an age where she new Holocaust survivors; so she may have taken a right to the Jewish homeland personally.
Ms. Rivers was quite simply, though, a natural performer who loved to talk.
I rarely  ever paid attention to comics in my life except of course Richard Pryor.
I always knew exactly what Richard Pryor was talking about and why some things were anathema
to his experiences.
I loved Moms Mabley, and some of Pearl Bailey. I thought in the old days Pearl couldn't be too
authentic because if your husband were white, you had to be nice. I had the Ed Sullivan view of what
could be done when Sullivan became enraged with Elvis Presley.
Richard Pryor was the only comic I ever paid to see; but I probably would have paid to see
Joan Rivers.
She made me want to go back to the days when I won 1st in the after dinner speech
category in the intercollegiate trials for the Speech department at my college.
What could be better than to keep laughing all the time? The only other comedienne who deserves
to call herself Joan's direct heir is Sarah Silverman. She's really too pretty, but she makes up for it
so easily with her biting, corrosive wit. One has to believe Sarah studied Joan.
The one man who seems to me to be in Joan's league is John Fugelsang. Think fast! He's such a genius you can miss it if you inhale too long. Did he study Joan too?
I saw Joan Rivers in a TV show recently with  matriarch Mrs. Jenner of Kardashian/Jenner fame.
Joan asked Jenner to adopt her because the Kradashian girls achieved such wealth so quickly.
Jenner declined pretty quietly, confused.
Then Joan said: 'Well if I marry or date a black guy will you adopt me?
I don't know how long I laughed; but I thought- 'That is absolutely classic Joan Rivers.'
You know exactly why you are laughing, and you know you would never have thought to that in the
moment it was uttered. Joan had a way of setting people up so deftly because she made herself look
so crazy in the beginning, but made certain setting herself up was a part of the reason the other person had to look so flummoxed in the end.
What made the aforementioned scene even funnier than it would have been anyway- Jenner got a bit
insulted.
As my daughter would say, Bwaaaaahahahahahaha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after the author has reviewed.